Senior Web Frontend Engineer (f,m,d)
What if you could do something meaningful about climate change? Immediately. Effectively. Collectively. At Klima that is exactly the impact you’ll have. And we can measure it!
Klima is the No. 1 App to fight climate change — empowering anyone to take immediate climate action by compensating their carbon footprints and reducing their emissions sustainably. Our community has already taken 60,000 tons of CO2 out of the atmosphere. And we’re just getting started.
After a successful Series A, we’re now looking for a Senior Web Frontend Engineer to join our web team and boost the development of our web products (Klima website and blog, our web carbon calculator, our new B2B offering, marketing landing pages and other upcoming projects).
Climate change is the biggest challenge humanity has ever faced. Join the fight and put your talent to work for good!
- Company size: 25 scaling to 30+
- Sizable A-round financing, plenty of runway
- Bright office space in one of Berlin Mitte’s most beautiful neighborhoods
- Sustainable everything: Furniture, food, activities, benefits.
- Our one success metric: Tons of CO2e taken out of the atmosphere
What we offer
- A creative, friendly and purpose-driven team
- Ownership of a product with social impact and global reach
- High degree of autonomy
- Competitive salary and equity package
- Top-of-the-line equipment – you tell us what you need!
- Subsidized gym membership, free public transportation ticket, bike subscription, and compensation of your personal CO2e footprint
- We value learning and a healthy engineering culture a lot – You’ll receive a yearly learning budget and join our regular exchanges with developers from other teams and backgrounds.
- Flexible hours and a remote-friendly environment
- Prefer to work 4 days a week? We’re open to that!
- Relocation assistance
What we’re looking for
- You have 3+ years of experience as a frontend developer in a company or as a freelancer. You can demonstrate that you have built state-of-the-art frontend projects targeting a meaningfully sized audience. Ideally, you can show us some of your code on GitHub or GitLab and/or some pages you built that are live.
- You have contributed to designs in the past and feel comfortable coming up with your own UI details and responsive behaviour. Ideally, you have used design tools like Figma, Sketch or Adobe XD before.
- You’re used to working closely together with product and motion design to create immersive and interactive web experiences.
- You feel comfortable using version control systems and their workflows (we’re using git and GitLab).
- You are highly motivated and eager to learn a lot of new things.
- Plus points if you have experience with any of those: TypeScript, Next.js, CSS-in-JS libraries (e.g. emotion), web animations, web accessibility, analytics, testing (e.g. unit tests with Jest or e2e tests with Cypress), CI workflows
- You are eager to take ownership of your projects and go from a rough briefing or design to a fully-fledged working product that’s tested, released and accessible by everyone.
- You are calm and focused under pressure and re-orient quickly in changing environments. When you don't fully understand something, you take it as an opportunity to learn and grow.
- You believe in clear and honest communication as the basis for effective and joyful teamwork. You consider work-life balance essential to long-term happiness and productivity.
- You speak English fluently.
- We’d like to explicitly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply to this position. Please also apply if you don’t meet all of the requirements above.
What you’ll do
- You will help us grow our unique set of web initiatives like the Klima web carbon calculator, Klima for teams, our brand new offering towards B2B customers and of course our website (klima.com) and blog.
- While our designer comes up with the initial ideas, you make sure that aspects like responsive behaviour, interactions (e.g. hover and focus styles), animations (e.g. CSS animations, Three.js or GSAP) and accessibility are taken care of.
- You will contribute to our internal design system by building and extending React components that are used throughout different projects.
- You will share and grow your skillset together with the rest of the engineering team, especially within the web team (currently one senior engineer, one junior engineer and one junior QA engineer).
- You will join our weekly engineering discussions where we discuss tech decisions and show off what we’ve learned.
- You will work in an agile manner. We currently do 3-week cycles (sprints) across all platform teams.
- You will write tests to make sure our business logic is stable and to release new features with confidence.
- We highly value the DRY principle and investing into technologies like Kotlin Multiplatform to share business logic across platforms. We encourage you to join this effort as well.
What our tech stack looks like
- Our web stack utilizes TypeScript, Next.js, React, Emotion, Storybook, Jest and Cypress
- We’re deploying our web projects with GitLab CI to AWS
- Our backend utilizes Java 11, Kotlin, Kotlin Multiplatform, Docker, Spring Boot ecosystem
- Our mobile efforts are powered by native Kotlin and Swift apps
- Do you have some ideas about what we could do better? You’ll always have the chance to bring up new ideas and challenge the status quo.
How our hiring process looks like
We want to make the process efficient, relaxed and fun for everyone involved. No whiteboard tests and no live coding will be involved. We’re looking forward to meeting you and answering your questions as well!
- First call with our recruiter Isabel
- Meet & greet with Sebastian (Senior Frontend Engineer) and another member of the team
- Coding challenge: Short briefing call to introduce the challenge, then you’ll work on the challenge at home at your own pace (take-home assignment)
- Coding challenge debrief call with Sebastian and another member of the team
- Final (non-technical) call with our CTO Andreas
We are committed to diversity and equity and seek to build an inclusive workplace that welcomes people from all different backgrounds. And we encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the requirements for the role.
If you’re looking for an incredible opportunity, a great place to work, and a chance to make a difference, we’re excited to consider your application!
A note on Covid-19 and WFH
We want you to stay safe during the Covid-19 pandemic! Many of us are still working from home, and if you join us, we’ll provide all the equipment you need to make your home office experience as productive and enjoyable as possible.